Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] AFS backups / restores with Solaris or Linux

2010-03-31 14:38:09
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] AFS backups / restores with Solaris or Linux
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "Ron Jack (Systems Network)" <rjack AT nando DOT com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 13:37:47 -0500
On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 1:03 PM, Ron Jack (Systems Network) <rjack AT nando DOT com> wrote:
I have zero experience with AFS, so your post piqued my curiosity. Plus,
I'm just down the street, so I thought I'd try to assist a neighbor.

Total stab in the dark - try the 5.0 client.

When you upgrade your master to 7.0, you will lose support for 5.0 clients:  http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/334273.htm

I have no idea if they'll continue to work, but you will lose support (although I doubt if you can actually get support on a 5.0 client these days anyway).  The 6.0 Unix admin guide has AFS info:  ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/279264.pdf

The 6.0 guide does say:
AFS is no longer available from IBM and IBM has announced that AFS support will end on April 30, 2006. AFS was not tested with NetBackup 6.0 clients and will not be supported. AFS will continue to be supported with NetBackup 5.x clients running under 5.x or 6.0 servers.

   .../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org