Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Resetting the archive bit on windows backups

2010-03-24 10:38:18
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Resetting the archive bit on windows backups
From: "bob944" <bob944 AT attglobal DOT net>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 10:37:50 -0400
> This occurred to me on the way to work.  Does the NB
> client for windows reset all the archive bits on files
> after the backup's completion?
>
> That's the only thing that makes sense as I see it.
> If it reset the bit after each file, then a last-minute
> failure of the backup would not let the next incremental
> backup what failed the previous run.

This has always been documented--but never well--in the Admin Guide.
See the NetBackup Administrator's Guide, Volume 1.(I looked in the
7.0 manual in case it's more clear than earlier versions--but it's
still ambiguous on the obvious questions)

  Configuring hosts
    Configuring host properties
      Client settings (Windows) properties
        Wait time before clearing archive bit
        Incrementals based on timestamp
        Incrementals based on archive bit
          (fulls clear it, diffs clear if successful)

There's a new (to me) technote on this that fills in a few blanks:

  http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/239393.htm