Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] open files to be backed up

2010-03-20 11:33:15
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] open files to be backed up
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: SACHIN ARORA <sachinar1 AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 10:33:10 -0500
On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 10:01 AM, SACHIN ARORA <sachinar1 AT gmail DOT com> wrote:

 Hovewer, i'm kinda illetrate in this...can you elaborate "you need a connector to backup databases"
 Can't these filed be backed up via open file file backup (VSS/VSP)

No database can ever be backed up by VSS or VSP - databases need to be transactionally consistent and an open file agent doesn't guarantee that.

You need an agent - something like the MS SQL agent.  Alternatively, you may be able to write a script that runs on the client to backup the database to a disk location and then back up that backup file using NetBackup.  That's what we do with most of our SQL and Oracle databases

As always, after you've put your backup solution together, test a recovery of that database and see if it still works.

A Google search for "netbackup sql server express" will certainly help you.

                …/Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE