Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] TapeAlert Code: 0x1e, Type: Critical

2010-03-12 13:44:00
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] TapeAlert Code: 0x1e, Type: Critical
From: "bob944" <bob944 AT attglobal DOT net>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 13:43:40 -0500
> We think we have found the cause, a netapp tape zone in
> one of our fabrics which had an unattended server in it

I hope it wasn't a Windows box.  Maybe 6-7 years ago, an admin zoned
a Win 2000 system to tape for some reason and also didn't shut off
the RSM service.  RSM seems to rewind drives at random, apparently
assuming that it should be managing the drives.  That trashed a lot
of backups--both in-progress and, IIRC, overwriting some.  There
should still be technotes on RSM.