Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup on CentOS ??

2010-03-03 14:36:47
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup on CentOS ??
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: Robin Small <Robin.Small AT fresno DOT gov>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 13:36:36 -0600
On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 12:21 PM, Robin Small <Robin.Small AT fresno DOT gov> wrote:

I’m wondering if any of you know why CentOS isn’t supported as a NBU Master?

The compatibility matrix isn't really about what works - it's about what Symantec will support.  Many people have done all sorts of things that work, although may not be supported.

In order for Symantec to support CentOS as a master, they would have to build it and continue to update and support it.  Every new update would require re-certification on yet another platform.  Would you want your master server to be on a platform that Symantec hasn't thoroughly tested?  Of course not.

I suspect that there's not a lot of demand for a CentOS-based master either.  NetBackup is an enterprise product and most enterprises probably want support on their production operating systems.

CentOS is not RHEL.  It never has been and never can be.  It's close, but from an enterprise support perspective, close isn't good enough.

   .../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org