Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Sun/StorageTek based LTO4 encryption

2010-03-02 17:42:12
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Sun/StorageTek based LTO4 encryption
From: David Magda <dmagda AT ee.ryerson DOT ca>
To: Shekel Tal <Tal.Shekel AT uk.fujitsu DOT com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 17:42:01 -0500
On Mar 2, 2010, at 10:26, Shekel Tal wrote:

> It takes roughly 73 clock cycles on a Windows or Linux server or about
> 87 clock cycles on UNIX server to perform MSEO compression/encryption
> per BYTE of data backed up. Backing up 100 MB/sec of data through a
> Solaris media server requires 8.7 GHz of CPU processing for MSEO
> alone,
> plus whatever processing is needed for other tasks. To move 200 MB/sec
> through the media server would require 17.4 GHz of CPU for MSEO.

The smallest SPARC server that Sun/Oracle sells is the T5120. Those
have built-in encryption right on the CPU die, which I would hope
Symantec would take advantage of it by linking against libpkcs11.so.

Benchmarks have a single UltraSPARC-T2 doing 38.9 Gbit/s of AES-128:

http://blogs.sun.com/bmseer/entry/ultra_fast_cryptography_on_the

Of course Fujitsu sells M3000, with SPARC64 processors, but they don't
have crypto AFAIK.

> So it's a very cpu intensive process. You would probably require a
> large
> multicore process system depending on your throughput requirements

It's kind of hard to find a server that is /not/ multi-core nowadays. :)