Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Steps to change Master Server Name

2010-02-22 17:20:57
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Steps to change Master Server Name
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 16:20:49 -0600
On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 1:24 PM, lookn4me <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:

Yes you correct, I am looking to copy the catalog and its database to the new host in order to test upgrading and locate break/fix issues prior to the upgrade.  I need to have as much of the master server functionality as possible.  The question I have is what needs to be done in 5.1 MP4 version to change master server entries in the associated databases?

It's a binary edit of the flat files.  It's ugly and if you're not VERY careful, it will break.  It's not supported and you could be creating yourself major headaches trying to make it work when what it sounds lik what you need to do is focus on getting an upgrade working.  Because of the major hacking involved to rename the master, you won't know if it the upgrade that's failing or your hacks.

I'd say don't go there, especially since this will be a one-time hack for you - the processed you'd be going through are not the same as 6.x where you have vastly differently media management capability with EMM.

Surprising this is an issue in Netbackup if one had to DR a box to a different hostname, the inability to name the master something else.

There are other options for DR and those are documented in the HA whitepapers.  What you're doing, however, is not a DR exercise.  DR planning is not something you do after you have a disaster - it's a process that you do every day and build your systems and applications around.

   .../Ed