Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Slow backup for MSSQL DB server with man DBs?

2010-01-29 09:08:00
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Slow backup for MSSQL DB server with man DBs?
From: david AT stanaway DOT net
To: "Marianne Van Den Berg" <mvdberg AT stortech.co DOT za>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 14:08:22 +0000
Backup target is disk.
------Original Message------
From: Marianne Van Den Berg
To: David Stanaway
Cc: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Sent: Jan 29, 2010 8:02 AM

Hi David

You can increase the Media Unmount Delay.

Extract from TN http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/316341.htm:

To specify a Media unmount delay property indicates that the unloading
of media is delayed after the requested operation is complete. Media
unmount delay applies only to user operations, to include backups and
restores of database agent clients, such as those running NetBackup for
Oracle. The delay reduces unnecessary media unmounts and the positioning
of media in cases where the media is requested again a short time later.

The delay can range from 0 seconds to 1800 seconds. The default is 180
seconds. If you specify 0, the media unmount occurs immediately upon
completion of the requested operation. Values greater than 1800 are set
to 1800.

Also have a look at GROUPSIZE variable in script - The number of
databases that will be snapped as a single SQL Server backup image.

Regards

M.