Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Backup Success Rate

2010-01-12 17:21:23
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Backup Success Rate
From: Wayne T Smith <WTSmith AT maine DOT edu>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 17:21:19 -0500
Hi Brian,

Because we backup machines that will be unavailable for periods of time, the % isn't very interesting for us.

Items I find interesting:
  • On Monday morning, what servers have not had a successful full backup over the weekend (I want a reason for every client failing backups)
  • On Friday morning, what servers are failing backups (notify client owners)
  • Other days, client owners can work on the problem of failing backups, if they have interest (they have the ability/resources)
  • How much of my time is due to backup infrastructure problems.
  • How much of my time is due to client problems.
Over the years, this keeps us reasonably protected and focus with the owners (responsible parties).  Others may have wildly different perspectives!

Cheers, Wayne