Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Problem with Restoring Placeholder files on SAN Media Server

2009-12-21 09:50:12
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Problem with Restoring Placeholder files on SAN Media Server
From: "WEAVER, Simon \(external\)" <simon.weaver AT astrium.eads DOT net>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 14:49:55 -0000

Hi All
I have logged 2 calls with Symantec over this now, and between them, it seems to be a debate of who's problem this is.

So while that is going on, here is the problem I am being faced with.

Scenario:
1 x Master 6.5.3
2 x SAN Media 6.5.3 Servers running Enterprise Vault Placeholder Service 7.5 SP4
1 x SAN Media Enterprise Vault 7.5 SP4 Server

All running Win2k3 SP2

Problem:
On a SAN Media Server, restore of Placeholder files using BAR tool is causing RPC on Windows to fail. Resulting in loss of Service. the only way to recover is to power off and on.

I have tried to restore smaller chunks of folders, and redirected a restore to a different location, but same problem happens.

As a test today, I restored the Data from 1 SAN Media Server to another SAN Media Server, both running EV Placeholder Service, but the silly thing is, the alternate restore server failed with loss of RPC!!

I cannot restore these files to the Master Server (although the restore works!) but the files cannot be accessed by the System. A simple copy and paste is a failure!

EV Support blame NetBackup, and NetBackup blame EV. I can restore OTHER flat based files, with no problems at all.

Anti Virus removed as a test, but did not fix the issue.

Does anyone have an environment similar to this (large File Servers that run Symantec Enterprise Vault and has placeholder files on them), that I could talk to and discuss.

Been through all of Symantec site, and there is nothing even close to the problem I am seeing.

Apprecaite any response
Simon

This email (including any attachments) may contain confidential
and/or privileged information or information otherwise protected
from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, please
notify the sender immediately, do not copy this message or any
attachments and do not use it for any purpose or disclose its
content to any person, but delete this message and any attachments
from your system. Astrium disclaims any and all liability if this
email transmission was virus corrupted, altered or falsified.
-o-
Registered Office: