Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] VBR Setup Q's

2009-11-20 15:58:27
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] VBR Setup Q's
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: Boris Kraizman <sysadminzone AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 14:58:21 -0600
On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 2:18 PM, Boris Kraizman <sysadminzone AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
yes, Rusty. I am happy with Aptare, but my management doesn't want to spend a dime on the Aptare renewal anymore, why pay for something that you can get free, and you can argue and show all the value, it is all about to save money for the company.

You don't gett much for free.  NOM in 7.0 (now called OpsCenter) includes some basic reporting functionality for free (OpsCenter Standard) , but NOT TRENDING.  If you want long-term trending or other analytical features (e.g. customer report wizards, custom SQL, chargeback, etc), either pay for the VBR license (OpsCenter Analytics) or go 3rd party.  Temporary license keys for OpsCenter Analytics are supposed to be available so we can see if it will actually do the job.

OpsCenter Standard is focused on near-time/real-time and targeted at the backup admins.  OpsCenter Analytics is focused on historical/near-time/future and targeted at management as well as the backup admins.

Aptare and OpsCenter Analytics will still compete.  Obviously Aptare is winning today and most of us likely won't even see OpsCenter in production at our sites until well into 2010.  I certainly don't expect Aptare to roll over and die just because OpsCenter rolls out.

If you want trending, you will pay for it.  Either you'll pay Symantec for an Analytics license or you'll pay Aptare or one of the other 3rd reporting companies, or you'll pay to develop and maintain your own set of scripts.

   .../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org