Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] VMware backups to remote VMware Backup proxy server

2009-11-17 11:45:03
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] VMware backups to remote VMware Backup proxy server
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: Mark Glazerman <Mark.Glazerman AT spartech DOT com>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 10:44:53 -0600
On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 10:01 AM, Mark Glazerman <Mark.Glazerman AT spartech DOT com> wrote:

Is backing VMware machines feasible to a remote VMware Backup proxy server over a T1 line ?

We’re talking about 4 Virtual hosts with about 200GB of data between them.

Doing some simple math, a T1 at 1.5Mbps will take 1.8 hours per GB, assuming you push absolutely 100% of the T1 (which isn't even feasible).  For 200GB, that's 370 hours, or 15.4 days for a single full.

In short, I'd say you be nuts to try without doing some major compression and/or de-duplication.

   .../Ed