Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Quick Erase Script (Windows)

2009-11-10 15:44:10
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Quick Erase Script (Windows)
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 20:44:01 +0000
On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 01:59:48PM -0500, Jeff Lightner wrote:
> We use Data Domain here and haven't seen that.

It's not datadomain specific.  It would happen with any VTL.

If you have a small scratch pool (tapes tend to be reused shortly after
they expire) and you're not near capacity on your VTL, then you might
not notice.

If you have a lot more virtual tapes than you need, then your VTL will
need to retain a lot of data.  NBU never tells the VTL when a tape has
expired, so the data must remain.

> Are you running image cleanup jobs in NBU?

Image cleanup doesn't erase tapes.  So if the tape is on a VTL, it
contines to consume space.  Even if it has expired within NBU.

I'd love for NBU to have a checkbox (maybe on a per-pool or per-robot
basis) that would tell it to erase a tape when it expires if the tape is
in a robot slot.

--
Darren