Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Some odd Netbackup Questions.

2009-11-04 10:48:03
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Some odd Netbackup Questions.
From: <judy_hinchcliffe AT administaff DOT com>
To: <johan.redelinghuys AT stg.co DOT za>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 09:43:35 -0600

Well this could be a big discussion.

First Max jobs per client

I totally disagree with you.

I have some servers that are so small that more than 1 stream causes it to overload, so it does not respond, so NB kills the jobs.

So I HAVE to set those to 1 stream.  My medium size servers I set to 2 and my big ones I set to 4

Reason:

I do mulit streams on all servers. A big server could have 10 file systems.

So for example I have 1 tape drive set to 10 streams, when the jobs kick off the first server would try to start as many streams as it can – so this one would kick of 10 streams going to 1 tape drive.  Now 10 stream could really bog down this server to the point that it cannot do its nightly processing very well.  So I now have 1 server beating its brains out to send data to the tape drive ( and I know that drive will be waiting for data as one server just cannot keep up).  Doing it this way the backup will take longer to finish because the server is slower trying to send data for 10 different streams

But if I limit how many jobs each sever does.

ServerA kicks off 4 jobs

ServerB kicks off 1 job

serverC kicks off  2 jobs

ServerD kicks off 2 jobs

ServerE kicks off 1 job

(each server may have more jobs queues)

Now I have 5 servers doing a bit more work, and able to do it faster, and still leave cpu avail for nightly processing.  It is my belief that backups run faster this way.

I came to this conclusion when we first installed netbackup and I had to fight to get the small severs to even work, and playing with the job streams I got backups to run much better.

1)      Storage Units.  I am not sure I agree with you that when you start using a storage unit that it grabs all the drives even if it is not using them.

But having only 2 drives I would create two 1 drive units.  But with more drives I have a mix,  I have some that are 6 drives (most of my backups use this one) some that are one drive (because I have a policy that I want all the jobs to go to 1 tape) and some that are 2 drives (because I have a SAN media server and the amount of data will go to two tapes anyway)

3)      VSP I leave it on.  The files that get left behind can be removed if you use the windows PID killer.  I have had to get fancy with some where the server has little room and I would have to set the size or tell it to always use the E drive.  But ever server could have open files and I want to get them if I can.