Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Library

2009-11-04 09:23:47
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Library
From: "Jonathan Dyck" <jdyck AT bank-banque-canada DOT ca>
To: "Matthews, Gary (GSD UK Production Services business)" <gary.b.matthews AT logica DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 09:18:54 -0500
Hi Gary,
I don't know if other people have found this, but I've never worked for a shop that I could justify multiple fabrics for the backup infrastructure (unless of course you're "free" to use your production fabrics, which I've also found management folks tend to frown at ;-).  If you're going to buy a switch (or several) for this, I'd vote for the "create a single backup fabric".  That way you can muck around with your backup environment a little easier during the business day.  People tend to understand that the maintenance window for backup is actually during business hours (as the environment's busy after hours doing backup!).

Also,  unless SUN has recently introduced firmware that supports the second robotic controller FC connection for the SL3000 (they hadn't when I inquired about a year ago),  you'll be stuck with robotic control on a single fabric anyways. Maybe if you had multiple backup targets (multiple libraries) separate fabrics could make sense.

Cheers,
Jon