Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NetApp VTL Direct Tape Creation and NetBackup

2009-10-26 18:50:53
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NetApp VTL Direct Tape Creation and NetBackup
From: "Conner, Neil" <neil AT mbari DOT org>
To: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>, <hkyeakley AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 15:46:56 -0700
This is a great analysis... However, one thing a VTL is good for is handling slow clients.  For me, backing up about a hundred clients to 12 virtual tape drives significantly shortened my backup window compared to backing up to 4 LTO3 drives (I have quite a few slow clients to contend with so backing up straight to the LTO3 drives was never an option anyway).

I didn’t like how NetApp implemented their direct to tape feature so I use Vault (soon to be Storage Lifecycle Policies) to duplicate images from the VTL to physical tape.  I set aside a 5th LTO3 drive for restores.  I get great throughput with the Vault jobs and it’s pretty much trouble free.

Neil