Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Support of Windows multibyte (Japanese) character set

2009-10-08 19:12:28
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Support of Windows multibyte (Japanese) character set
From: Dean <dean.deano AT gmail DOT com>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 10:09:15 +1100
Hi,

Our older NBU 5.1 system is used to backup some Japanese Windows servers. The master is running Solaris, and there is a single Windows media server. I am told that the Windows media server is required to support the backup and restore of files from the Japanese Windows servers due to the multibyte character set. The media server itself is just running "US English" Windows.

I am now building new NBU 6.5 master and media servers. I'd prefer to keep it all Linux, but I guess I'll need at least one Windows media server to support these Japanese Windows clients. However I can't find any documentation to confirm this.

Can anyone confirm or otherwise that it is still the case the clients running the Japanese version of Windows can only be backed up (or rather, restored from) a Windows media server?

Many thanks,
Dean