Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Sun Trunking vs. Redhat Linux ???

2009-10-02 07:21:55
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Sun Trunking vs. Redhat Linux ???
From: Travis Kelley <rhatguy AT gmail DOT com>
To: Peter DrakeUnderkoffler <pcd AT xinupro DOT com>, Thomas.Schulz AT cortalconsors DOT de, veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 07:15:53 -0400
Echoing Peter, I have used the linux bponding with LACP on the switch
to bond 2 gige linls together and was able to get 1800 Mb/s through
them on a Sun x4200.  One thing to watch out for is your inter switch
trunks.  We also had to upgrade our interswitch trunks, but I assume
your network is already designed to handle this kind of traffic.

On 10/1/09, Peter DrakeUnderkoffler <pcd AT xinupro DOT com> wrote:

> Yes, it is called bonding.  It has several options
> for configuration, you would be looking at running
> it in a load balancing configuration with LACP,
> the /etc/modprobe.conf settings for that would
> be something like:
>
> options bond0 lacp_rate=1 mode=4 miimon=100
>
> But this will also depend on your switch vendor.
>
> I've only used two(2) NICs in a trunk, so I would
> imagine you have some testing ahead of you to not only
> get it to function as you wish, but also get the desired
> throughput.
>
> Thanks
> Peter
>
> Peter DrakeUnderkoffler
> Xinupro, LLC
> 617-834-2352
>

> Thomas.Schulz AT CortalConsors DOT de wrote:
>>

>> We run two SUN V490 Server as NBU 6.0 Media Server.
>>
>> Over four 1GB NICs we have a SUN Trunking running.
>>
>> Now we plan to migrate the Media Applikation to four DELL r710 Servers.
>>
>> Is there a Redhat Linux feature like SUN Trunking availiable ?
>>
>> Cortal Consors S.A. Zweigniederlassung Deutschland, Bahnhofstraße 55,
>> D-90402 Nürnberg, HR Nürnberg B 20075, USt-IdNr. DE225900761
>>
>> Sitz der Cortal Consors S.A.: 1, boulevard Haussmann, F-75318 Paris
>> cedex 09, Registergericht: R.C.S. Paris 327 787 909
>> Président du Conseil d'Administration (Verwaltungsratsvorsitzender) und
>> Directeur Général (Generaldirektor) der Cortal Consors S.A.: Olivier Le
>> Grand
>> Leitung der Zweigniederlassung Deutschland: Martin Daut (CEO
>> Deutschland), Olivier Le Grand, Richard Döppmann, Pascal Grundrich
>>
>> Before printing, think about environmental responsibility!
>> Bitte denken Sie über Ihre Verantwortung gegenüber der Umwelt nach,
>> bevor Sie diese E-Mail ausdrucken.

Sent from my mobile device