Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Frozen Tapes

2009-09-11 00:40:23
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Frozen Tapes
From: "bob944" <bob944 AT attglobal DOT net>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 00:37:02 -0400
> Just out of curiosity, for all those stating to check the logs, to
> which logs are you referring?

Depends on the error, the source of it, the platform and the
NetBackup version.  I've talked offline to half a dozen people about
this in the last week; everybody has their own special places to
look.

For I/O errors in general:

Most Unices put device errors in the messages file, and maybe syslog
if configured that way.  The Windows equivalent seems to be the
Event Viewer.  This has to happen since the operating system and its
driver facilities are what talks to the drive; NetBackup is an app
talking to the OS's facilities.

The bptm log.  NetBackup's report (say, status 84, write error) is a
restatement of what the OS told NetBackup, condensed into an 83
(open), 84 (write), 85 (read), 86 (position) or 87 (close).

grepping  the output of bperror -all, -media or -problems is a lot
easier than looking through the GUI Reports (see below) if you
already know what you're looking for.

Whereever you find them, TapeAlert messages are worth paying
attention to, especially LTOs and the DIRECTORY-type errors.

I also habitually peruse the Problems (and sometimes the All Log
Entries) report for the previous 24 hours, sorting it by description
and skimming it to look for the unusual.  My memory tells me I used
to find "FREEZ[ing it]" and "DOWN[ing it]" there but I don't have
any examples.  Maybe these changed between 5.x and 6.x.

6.0 or 6.5 introduced new report compilations in the GUI:  Check
Media Logs, Tape Logs and Tape Summary

Here's a technote that explains NetBackup's basic logic on making
the call of whether it's a media or drive problem:

  http://support.veritas.com/docs/317050