Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Million file backup issue

2009-08-31 17:57:26
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Million file backup issue
From: <Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com>
To: dave.markham AT fjserv DOT net
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 16:54:04 -0500

Dave,

You could try using WinZip, WinRar, 7zip, or even NTBackup to create a flat file of all of these files for you. At a previous job we had a similarly designed application that created tons of directories for each client entry. Of course this was pretty static data, but it took a few hours just for NBU to traverse the directory structure in that area of the filesystem alone. Try that and see if it works any better for you.

Rusty Major, MCSE, BCFP, VCS ▪ Sr. Storage Engineer ▪ SunGard Availability Services ▪ 757 N. Eldridge Suite 200, Houston TX 77079 ▪ 281-584-4693
Keeping People and Information Connected® ▪ http://availability.sungard.com/
P Think before you print
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.

Dave Markham <dave.markham AT fjserv DOT net>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

07/01/2009 08:42 AM
Please respond to
dave.markham AT fjserv DOT net

"Donaldson, Mark" <Mark.Donaldson AT Staples DOT com>
cc
veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Subject
Re: [Veritas-bu] Million file backup issue

Not as yet. something i'll look at also.

I have spoke to the App guy and it makes sense the drive can't be locked
to do a raw backup as it will be constantly in use by the application.

I'm a but stuck as to how to back this thing up now.

cheers