Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup 5.1 MP5

2009-08-25 15:26:31
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup 5.1 MP5
From: Carl Elkins <ce1 AT sanger.ac DOT uk>
To: "Hudson, Steve" <Steve.Hudson AT ironmountain DOT com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 20:23:22 +0100
Hudson, Steve wrote:
> Thanks Wayne but it is more complicated than that. We have 20-25 Rman
> Database that backup fine in this environment but these rouge entries
> are for the same 20-25 Rman Backups. We just can't figure out where they
> are
> Getting started from since there is no policy name associated with the
> PID...

We used to see this with 5.1MP5, and after some investigations with
Symantec Tech Support, it appears that it's due to overloading of the
internal communications channels within NetBackup (SHM, message queues
etc.); Tech Support have some "tweaking" documents that include the
necessary steps to confirm that this is the cause, and 'recommendations'
about settings for a variety of installation setups (where a 'large'
setup is considered one which runs a few hundred jobs per day: we run a
couple of thousand incrementals per day...)

This was one of the main reasons for us pushing ahead with the 6.5 upgrade.

Carl Elkins, Team Leader, Storage & Backups,
Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute,
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus,
Hinxton, Cambridge, UK