Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Catalog Archiving

2009-08-25 15:15:22
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Catalog Archiving
From: Carl Elkins <ce1 AT sanger.ac DOT uk>
To: "Tschida, Tom (STP)" <tom.tschida AT bsci DOT com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 20:12:04 +0100
Tschida, Tom (STP) wrote:
> Is anyone using this feature within NetBackup?

Yes, we have to use it periodically here at Sanger.

>  I recently found out
> about it, but it's been around since 4.5  Our catalog is approaching 1
> TB in size

Under 5.1, we used catalog archiving to try to keep our catalog around
1TB max, since we were advised that "[unspecified] bad things might
happen" if it grew much bigger...
Under 6.5, it seems to cope *far* better with our large catalog
(~1.1TB), with no slow-down or other apparent issues.

> and this looks like a good solution, as long as there are no
> gotchas.

So long as you take multiple copies, and hold them in different places,
the only problem you'll likely see is when someone wants a restore from
'old' backups, and you have to restore the section of catalog before you
can even start the user restore - not too much of a pain, but worth
considering (we hold 1 copy on disc, and 2 on tape).

> Just curious how it's working for people.

On the whole, pretty well.

> Thanks in advance.
>

> Tom Tschida
> Boston Scientific

Carl Elkins, Team Leader, Storage & Backups,
Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute,
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus,
Hinxton, Cambridge, UK