Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Media error stops entire backup

2009-08-10 05:10:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Media error stops entire backup
From: annym <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 05:06:57 -0400
Hello community, this last weekend I had an error on one tape. This tape is in
a tape robot and the error indicates media error for this tape.

The problem however is that I had hoped that Netbackup should handle this issue
by not trying to use this tape but take another one from the scratch pool. This
didn't happened. Netbackup tried to mount this tape several times instead of
using another tape. I had 13 more tape s in the scratchpool when his happened.
This resulted in that the entire fullbackup failed this weekend. What also
happened is that the robot drive went into down state.

I don't know if there is anyway to configure Netbackup to handle this scenario.
I've tried to find someway to configure this but really don't know where to
look inside the GUI or any other config file inside the Netbackup directory
structure. Does anyone know if and how to configure a Netbackup server to
handle this?

The version I'm running is Netbackup 6.5.3 on a Windows 2003 server. This
server is also media server with a HP MSL2024 taperobot attached to it. The
robot has one internal drive.

Thanks
Anders