Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Tape Robot Comparison

2009-08-07 12:30:27
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Tape Robot Comparison
From: william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 17:26:57 +0100
We did a similar exercise a few years ago to consider a successor to the
L700.  I looked in detail at a number of libraries available at the time,
and we chose what was then the ADIC Scalar i2000 - now Quantum.   We had
collated reqirements and scored them before asking for information from
vendors, which turned out a good thing as we had hard evidence to fend off
vendors who went straight to the CIO when not selected.

If you contact me off-list I might be able to find more information about
what other libraries we looked at and why we did not select them.  I
recall the i2000 was way ahead of many in terms of the capability of the
GUI.   Compared to the L700 (and we still have quite a few of them) it's
in a different league.  I don't think the SL3000 was around when we
looked, only the SL8500.  Of course vendors don't stand still, so features
they lacked when we looked may be sorted now.

William D L Brown