Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NetBakcup Service Set to Automatic 6.5.3 SAN CLIENT

2009-08-07 10:56:13
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NetBakcup Service Set to Automatic 6.5.3 SAN CLIENT
From: spaldam <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2009 10:53:03 -0400
You can use bar-code rules to put different types of tapes into different
Volume Pools based on their labels, but you only get a single "scratch" pool.
If you want to use Scratch pools, you have to do it based on media type/density
settings.

However, to use the two different tape technologies in the same tape drive,
they all have to be set to the same media type/density and the drive of course
has to be compatible with both tape types.  It would be nice if a single drive
could be configured to read/write or just read different media types/densities
but currently NetBackup does not offer this capability.

If you do it based on Volume Pool then just setup each policy to use the
appropriate Volume Pool, or set the schedules do an in-line copy to send data
to both Volume Pools.

If you do it based on media type/density, then you have to select the
appropriate storage unit for that density/type.  Again, in-line copy can be
used to select both at the schedule level.

Keep in mind that with in-line copy you're backups will only go as fast as the
slowest drive/tape, and probably even a bit slower.  Multiplexing is a must
with in-line copy, in my opinion, or you can end up with backups going twice as
slow.