Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Removing DSU data files.

2009-07-17 12:20:35
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Removing DSU data files.
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 16:17:24 +0000
On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 11:47:26AM -0400, Martin, Jonathan wrote:
> I can think of a few reasons why this might be happening.
>
> 1) Don't run bpexpdate commands in quick succession. My NBU servers can
> only run one bpexpdate at a time and even after the command returns with
> status zero, I still use a "sleep" command to wait 10 seconds before
> running the next loop.  Running the same command without the "sleep"
> command often causes erratic results.

Really? Okay...  What about the current situation where the image is
gone from the catalog, but data still in DSU?  Is there a way to clean
that up from within NBU now that it's occurred?  (I'm sure I can delete
them manually, but I would prefer not to do that).

> 2) Is this 5.1?  I've got several DSSUs in 5.1 that experience partial
> deletes.  I.E. I'll clear the DSSUs once a quarter and I'll find 20 of
> 75 fragments of some old image still hanging out on the disk space even
> though those fragments are no longer listed in the catalog.  Nothing I
> can really do about this because my support contracts have expired on
> these systems so I just deal with it.

> 3) Are you using the -copy 1 switch in the bpexpdate?  I'm not sure why,
> but on my DSUs this seems to help.

Never tried it.  These test images were never duplicated, so only one
copy.  I can try that...

> What OS / version is this on?

> > I have a 6.5.3 setup with a Linux Master and a Windows media server.

Also this is a pure DSU, no staging.
--
Darren