Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Removing DSU data files.

2009-07-17 11:06:18
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Removing DSU data files.
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 10:03:08 -0500
On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 9:51 AM, A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com> wrote:
I have a 6.5.3 setup with a Linux Master and a Windows media server.

After configuring a basicdisk DSU, I performed some image expirations
via 'bpexpdate -d 0 <backupid>'.  The catalog information is deleted,
but the files are still in the DSU.  I was expecting that they would be
deleted as part of the expiration process.

I've run some image cleanup jobs and none of them appeared to touch the
files either.

Am I doing something wrong?  How can I get the files to go away when the
image expires?

They do go away but the process is asynchronous.  Once you've done the bpexpdate, the image cleanup will get triggered.  Fire up the activity monitor and you can see the "Image Cleanup" jobs that run.

Depending on how busy your master and media servers are, and how big those images are, it can take a bit of time to do the cleanups but they should happen.  You can manually trigger them, but if they're not happening automatically, you've got a bug somewhere.

You can confirm that the image really has expired in the catalog with a `bpimagelist -backupid <backupid> command and search for the FRAG lines.
    .../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org