Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Which is Best for My NetBackup Master - 32

2009-07-17 10:08:04
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Which is Best for My NetBackup Master - 32
From: "Eagle, Kent" <KEagle AT WilmingtonTrust DOT com>
To: <Karthikeyan.Sundaram AT cognizant DOT com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 10:04:03 -0400
Karthikeyan,

An easy thing to do is to look at the performance tab of Task Manager
during a time of heavy usage.
There you will get an idea of how the cpu load is distributed, and what
your memory utilization looks like. It's just a snapshot in time, but
it's a good place to start. If you want more data, you can use Perfmon.

The next thing you should do is determine where your pagefile is located
on physical drives. Ideally it should be local (not on a SAN drive) and
should not exist on the same physical drive as the operating system. An
exception to this could be if you have raid on the local disk.

Next look at the size and settings of the pagefile. You may want to play
with this setting a little to find out how it behaves in your
environment. One setting to test is to reduce the pagefile size to
something small enough that it is just big enough to hold dumps created
when something goes wrong. Set this to be static. That is, the maximum
and minimum size for the pagefile are the same number. If the pagefile
was originally set to be dynamic (different maximum or minimum sizes),
you may want to first delete the pagefile, reboot, and defrag before
creating the new static pagefile. This could potentially assist in
making the pagefile more contiguous on disk.

After each modification, check performance in Task Manager during the
same period of heavy usage and see if the sustained memory utilization
has increased with the modified pagefile parameters.

I've included an excerpt from the Windows 2003 Server help. Some of the
information agrees with what I wrote above, and some may appear to
contradict. My recommendations are based on various experiences in my
environment. As always, "Your mileage may vary". Only testing will
reveal what is best in your environment.

Good luck,

Kent Eagle
MTS Infrastructure Engineer II, MCP, MCSE
Tech Services / SMSS

"Managing computer memory
When your computer is running low on RAM and more is needed immediately,
Windows uses hard drive space to simulate system RAM. This is known as
virtual memory, and is often called the paging file. The paging file is
similar to the UNIX swapfile. The default size of the virtual memory
page file (named pagefile.sys) created during installation is 1.5 times
the amount of RAM on your computer.

You can optimize virtual memory use by dividing the space between
multiple drives and removing it from slower or heavily accessed drives.
To best optimize your virtual memory space, divide it among as many
physical hard drives as possible. When selecting drives, keep the
following guidelines in mind:

Try to avoid having a page file on the same drive as the system files.
Avoid putting a page file on a fault-tolerant drive, such as a mirrored
volume or a RAID-5 volume. Page files do not need fault-tolerance, and
some fault-tolerant systems suffer from slow data writes because they
write data to multiple locations.
Do not place multipage filesiles on different partitions on the same
physical disk drive.
You can choose to optimize your computer's memory usage. If you use your
computer primarily as a workstation, rather than as a server, you can
devote more memory to your programs. Your programs will work faster and
your system cache size will be the default size that came with Windows.
If your computer is used primarily as a server, or if you use programs
that require a larger cache, you can choose to set aside more computer
memory for a larger system cache."

Message: 10