Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Tape Drive Statistics

2009-07-10 13:42:06
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Tape Drive Statistics
From: Heathe Kyle Yeakley <hkyeakley AT gmail DOT com>
To: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 12:36:27 -0500
I'm curious:

1) Where may I get a copy of this paper?

2) Does the paper list exactly how they went about performing their test?

Right now I'm tuning a DR environment. I mail tapes to my off site
facility, phase 1 and phase 2 import my images in and then restore.
Other than that, my Master, Media, clients and libraries just sit there.
So I've eliminated the factors of "Is there other stuff running that
could impact performance".

Furhtermore, according to page 106 of the Netbackup Performance and
Tuning Guide:

"IMPORTANT: Because the data buffer size equals the tape I/O size, the value
specified in SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS must not exceed the maximum tape I/O size
supported by the tape drive or operating system. "

Where do I go to find the tape I/O size? And where do I find the tape
I/O size supported by the tape drive and OS? My configuration is:

Tape Drives: LTO-4 IBM
# or drives: 6
Master Server OS: RHEL
SAN Media Server: Tru64
Library Vendor and Model: Spectra Logic T380

Would Red Hat, IBM, Spectra Logic or the LTO site have the supported
tape I/O size numbers?

Thanks.

- Heathe Kyle Yeakley