Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] 2 Masters and only 1 tape library - DR Exercise

2009-06-30 13:11:32
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] 2 Masters and only 1 tape library - DR Exercise
From: Cris Rhea <crhea AT mayo DOT edu>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 12:08:22 -0500
> You're not going to do it without partitioning the library.  Hints in
> another thread suggest it might be possible by using a another software
> package as an interface but stock Netbackup will limit you to having a
> library connected to one, and only one, master server.
>
> The Master Server holds your volume database, you can't have a tape in
> more than one volume database.

I suppose it revolves around how one defines "partitioning the library":
        Hard partitions or soft (by tape label ranges).

We have a Sun/STK SL8500 with ACSLS as the front end and have several
(unrelated) Netback Master servers (and media servers) all using the
library concurrently.

We have not "hard partitioned" it, but rather have a tape range and specific
tape drives assigned to each Netbackup system. We even have several
non-Netbackup systems also using the library.

--- Cris

--
 Cristopher J. Rhea
 Mayo Clinic - Research Computing Facility