Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Exchange Agent

2009-06-19 14:46:44
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Exchange Agent
From: <Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com>
To: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 13:42:45 -0500

Donald (haha, just kidding Mark, I couldn't resist),

You can also utilize multiple data streams on an Exchange backup just like any other policy. If you have this option set, you can let NBU break all the Storage Groups and Logs into their own stream, or you can manage this yourself. I find I prefer to let NBU manage it, when we do this, and just use the Microsoft Information Store:\ directive so I don't have to worry about other Exchange admins making changes to the SG configuration that I don't have defined, and thus missing data.

It's very easy to configure, but I highly recommend running through some restore tests since you're changing the method of data protection.

Have fun,

Rusty Major, MCSE, BCFP, VCS ▪ Sr. Storage Engineer ▪ SunGard Availability Services ▪ 757 N. Eldridge Suite 200, Houston TX 77079 ▪ 281-584-4693
Keeping People and Information Connected® ▪ http://availability.sungard.com/
P Think before you print
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.

"Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

06/15/2009 02:15 PM

"Donaldson, Mark" <Mark.Donaldson AT Staples DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
cc
Subject
Re: [Veritas-bu] Exchange Agent

Works great, backing up about 600GB here using it.  Point your selection list at your information store (i.e. Microsoft Information Store:\) and run a full.  The full backups all the data files and log files then truncates the log files.  Differential incrementals backup and truncate the log files, cumulative incrementals backup but do not truncate the log files.  You can restore as long as you have your latest full and all logs up to the point in time you want to recover to (not unlike standard backups.)  Restores can be a little tricky version to version (different options) but for the most part it works great.  Recovery storage groups are the easiest, but your exchange admin might want to chime in on this.

-Jonathan