Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Performance tuning with remote NDMP.

2009-06-17 16:01:52
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Performance tuning with remote NDMP.
From: Jeff Cleverley <jeff.cleverley AT avagotech DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 13:58:29 -0600
Greetings,

I found some posts from April about people trying to get NDMP performance out of a NetApp but seem to stall out around 120 MB/s.  I didn't find any posts that detailed why.  I know that having a trunk connection of 1 gig ports will still only use 1 gig port for the point to point connection and not use the entire aggregated bandwidth.  I didn't know if this was the issue or not.

Our setup is a 6030 running 7.2.5.1 Ontap and a linux RHEL4 server running 6.5.3.  Both the NetApp and the master server had 10G network cards in a private network.  When I do a dump to null on the filer I can average over 200 MB/s.  When I do a dd to a tape drive on the master I can get over 120 MB/s to a Gen 3 LTO.  When I do backups of a single file system I can never exceed 70 MB/s.  Running multiple backup jobs has maxed out at 110 MB/s.  I have verified through the network switch traffic that the data is going between the 10G ports.

I've gone through the performance tuning guide and played with the buffer settings for NET_BUFFER_SZ, SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS_NDMP, NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS, and  SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS.  I can make performance worse but can never get better than what is listed above.  One thing I've noticed is that even though I've made changes to the VERBOSE statement in the bp.conf file and restarted NetBackup, I never get the wait and delay messages in the bptm logs.  The master server properties have all be set to maximum logging Obviously there is no bpbkar log file on the filer to look at.  Am I missing something to get that turned on?

Thanks,

Jeff
--

Jeff Cleverley