Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backing up cluster after failover

2009-06-12 17:49:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backing up cluster after failover
From: tburrell <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 17:46:16 -0400
I'll take a stab at it: Don't think "drives" think "groups"

Remember that Windows Cluster drives do not "float" around on their own- they
are part of a Cluster Group.  That group also includes IP addresses- you can
and should have a dedicated backup IP address for each Cluster Group that
resolves to a unique name in the DNS.  Point your backups at the Cluster Group
DNS name, NOT the physical node names.

Since all the resources in a Cluster Group  always move together, your backups
will follow the Cluster Group Backup IP address, and the expected drives will
always be there (unless they fail to come online- but that's a different
problem).

As long as your Netbackup Clients on the physical nodes have the correct
media/master server entries, they can remain blissfully ignorant of what's
going on- Netbackup will take care of it.

You'll need a separate policy for each Cluster Group, since "All_LOCAL_DRIVES"
becomes useless- all drives must be explicitly listed, and you'll also need
separate system policies to protect the OS on the physical nodes (limit those
to the C drive and the system state).

Just remember that restores won't work right from the client side under normal
settings- you'll want to run those from the media/master. (you can get around
that, but it's a pain).

Tom Burrell