Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] More tapes than cap space on eject

2009-06-12 14:10:36
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] More tapes than cap space on eject
From: <Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com>
To: scott.george AT parker DOT com
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 13:07:05 -0500

We aren't sending that many tapes offsite, but I do have similar issues with the ACS libraries hanging in eject mode until the cap is emptied and then closed in an empty state. I really hate this operation, btw, but we utilize the eject notification to email the operators to inform them they need to go empty the cap asap. Is your crew not getting to it in enough time (like hours)? If  ours do not get to it in 3 or 4 hours, or don't shut the cap when it's empty, this causes vault to hang up because acsls doesn't give the all clear.

Rusty Major, MCSE, BCFP, VCS ▪ Sr. Storage Engineer ▪ SunGard Availability Services ▪ 757 N. Eldridge Suite 200, Houston TX 77079 ▪ 281-584-4693
Keeping People and Information Connected® ▪ http://availability.sungard.com/
P Think before you print
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.

scott.george AT parker DOT com
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

06/12/2009 11:39 AM

veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
cc
Subject
[Veritas-bu] More tapes than cap space on eject

All,

I have a NBU 6.5.3.1 server running AIX. and a STK SL8500 Library with
dual 39-slot caps, driven by ACSLS.  Our vault jobs are to the point where
they are consistently more than 78 tapes, and when the deferred ejects are
performed, the remaining x-78 tapes will not eject.  We just upgraded to
6.5.3.1 on Wednesday from 6.0MP5, which only seemed to prolong the vault
job.  The same symptoms ocurred in both versions, but 6.5 is really
waiting for the final tapes to eject (or so it seems).  Based on our
observations, it appears that this is an ACSLS problem, but I wanted to
see if anybody had any suggestions on how to know for sure.  We have
really been ignoring this since the operators were satisfied with ejecting
the remaining tapes manually.  But since the deferred eject is now hanging
until it gets good eject status of the remaining tapes (again, I don't
know that for sure), this has become a more urgent issue.

Has anybody seen anything like this before?

Thank you,

Scott

PLEASE NOTE: The preceding information may be confidential or
privileged. It only should be used or disseminated for the purpose
of conducting business with Parker. If you are not an intended
recipient, please notify the sender by replying to this message and
then delete the information from your system. Thank you for your
cooperation.