Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Backing up cluster after failover

2009-06-12 11:49:13
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Backing up cluster after failover
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 10:46:15 -0500
On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 10:34 AM, smwoodcrafts <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:

ewilts wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 9:48 AM, smwoodcrafts <netbackup-forum < at > backupcentral.com (netbackup-forum < at > backupcentral.com)> wrote:
>
> The client name set on the host is actually irrelevant - it's only used when you want to do a restore.
>
> On your Windows cluster, you want to make sure that you have 3 backup policies - 1a, 1b, and vir1.  The policies for 1a & 1b would back up just the OS - for example, C: and System_State:.  You could likely combine those 2 into a single policy if the drive letters are the same between the systems.  The vir1 policy would back up just the volumes that are floating between the hosts - for example, E: & F:.  You have to make sure you don't try to back up the data volumes in the OS policy or you will get a status 71.
>

> >     .../Ed
> >
> > Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
> > ewilts < at > ewilts.org (ewilts < at > ewilts.org)

This is the problem, the business owners don't care about the OS or local drives. They do an SQL back up and have it written on one of the floating drives. The only thing we are backing up is the backup files so I only need the one policy for the cluster (vir1). The problem is that the active node changed and the host properties are still pointing to the old active node. Not the new active node. In other words, I go to host properties for the cluster. The Client tab says 1a (old active) not 1b (new active).

You don't care about the active client name - you only care about the virtual name.   You can have a lot of virtual servers on a single cluster (and we do) so don't focus on the client name - focus on the virtual names.  the master server will communicate via that virtual name in the policy, make a successful connection, and continue merrily on its way.
    .../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org