Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU media server cluster

2009-06-10 23:21:42
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU media server cluster
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "Mark .." <polyfuze_4336 AT yahoo DOT com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 22:18:34 -0500
On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 10:10 PM, Mark .. <polyfuze_4336 AT yahoo DOT com> wrote:
I would love to seek your assistance and opinions on this setup. I have two SQL server nodes clustered using Microsoft Cluster. Version of DB and OS is SQL 2007 and Windows Ent 2008 x64.

On each node, there are two DB instance, DB A and DB B, DB A will be active on Node 1 and DB B will will be passive mode on Node 1. On Node 2 DB B is active while DB A is passive. Its kind of a cross active-passive cluster setup.

My question is what is the best approach to backup both DB in a clustered NBU media server configuration? Can NBU services failover to the other node in case of disaster and resume backup as per normal?

What you need to do is define a virtual backup address that floats across the cluster nodes with the database.  So, you probably already have something like dba.systems.example.com.  Add dba.backup.example.com and have both addresses sit in the same cluster group.  Then tell NetBackup to back up dba.backup.example.com.

You would do the same thing for an Exchange or file-serving cluster.

The thing to watch for is the cluster group dependency - you have to determine if you want the database to transition to the other node if your backup network goes down and only you can know if that's what you want.
.../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org