Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Auditors here again, I've got a question....

2009-06-08 14:32:08
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Auditors here again, I've got a question....
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "BeDour, Wayne" <WBedour AT lear DOT com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 13:28:42 -0500

This will give you the list of all tapes used for that client for that date.  Given that, check your vault logs to see when/if the tape was ejected, and get the audit trail from your vault provider to see when/if they received the tapes.

I don't think you have the information as to what the final status of that job was - it could have been a status 0 or 1.  To answer the question if "the backups ran" is actually pretty hard - it's quite possible that that the job ran, failed, and re-ran the next day.  From an audit perspective, that may be an acceptable outcome.   However, if auditing is really important to you, you may also have other evidence that the job failed because it emailed you a failure report.

For long-term answers for questions like this, considering a commercial backup reporting product...  For example, with Aptare StorageConsole, I can quickly find that information and see that copy 1 went to DSSU and which tape id copy 2 went to.

   .../Ed