Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Frequency Based Schedules

2009-06-03 14:51:48
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Frequency Based Schedules
From: "bob944" <bob944 AT attglobal DOT net>
To: <Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 14:48:22 -0400
> >and the longest frequency will win--the monthly will run.
>
> Bob, that's what usually happens, but that's not why. The
> trump card is the retention level, which usually is
> matched to a longer frequency, but may not always be the
> case.

I'm always glad to learn new things, but I'm not sure this is one of them.  To
me, the logic _has_ to be that longer frequency wins, else a longer-frequency
schedule would never win out--and this has always been the behavior that I've
observed and relied upon.  But since I have never set up, say, a weekly full
with a retention shorter than its "matching" daily diff, maybe it really works
as you say, but I'll need to see it to believe it.

Any interest on ... oh, I dunno.. how about a bottle of single-malt Scotch to
the winner?  ;-)

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."