Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Puredisk experiences ?

2009-04-24 09:53:07
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Puredisk experiences ?
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: Tristan Ball <Tristan.Ball AT leica-microsystems DOT com>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 08:49:57 -0500
On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 10:24 PM, Tristan Ball <Tristan.Ball AT leica-microsystems DOT com> wrote:

I’d second both of these points, but especially the pricing one. When we looked at it, pricing was based on the volume of data pre-deduplication, and bought in blocks of n Gigabytes or Terabytes.

1)       From a business point of view the one of the big value point of dedupe is to reduce the storage/transfer costs of backup. But their pricing model means that rather than spending that money on infrastructure (local tape, faster links, whatever), we pay that money to veritas/symantec. OK, fine, it’s probably less money over all, but even so to me it means that Symantec is getting the lions share of that value from the software, not me. I actually think this will change somewhat as dedupe becomes commodity.

Becomes a commodity?  In some ways, it already is.  For $100 I can buy a Windows Home Server license and de-dupe the backups for an infinite number of TB from 10 PCs in my house.  I've got about a half-terabyte at home being de-duped and backed up to a $500 server.  If I had a similarly sized PureDisk environment, I'd easily pay 10 times that.

Seriously, we've considered WHS for some small offices because the PureDisk license costs are ridiculous.

I absolute HATE per-TB licensing.  For a lot of what we do, this model breaks down.  We're not that large of a company, but we have a lot of storage.  Vendors make the silly assumption that the more storage you have, the richer you must be.  It's like charging a $100 to do an oil change on a Rolls Royce.

I just wish that Symantec would sell me the software and let me determine how many TB I can throw behind it.

I don't pay per-TB licenses for NetBackup and I don't want to pay them for PureDisk.  The only reason we do today is because Symantec's competitors haven't seen the light yet and commoditized it yet like Microsoft has with Windows Home Server.  As soon as they do - or if Microsoft licenses that backup component separately in an enterprise, Symantec will lose our business.

    .../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org