Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Decru Dataforts

2009-04-23 13:26:00
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Decru Dataforts
From: "David McMullin" <David.McMullin AT CBC-Companies DOT com>
To: "Steve.Hudson AT ironmountain DOT com" <Steve.Hudson AT ironmountain DOT com>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 13:22:36 -0400

We are currently using Decru Dataforts.

We found that there is a configuration setting to have them run in “HP Mode” that allows them to work between HP media servers and tape drives.

HP Mode = LUN mapped / HPUX LAM presentation

Solaris Mode = port mapped / mixed mode presentation

Unfortunately, it is not set per channel, and we were unable to mix OS.  Without HP mode on, the HP would “spontaneously” drop and regain its connection, with it on, the Solaris ones would.  Did you know that some Solaris 8 systems will panic reboot when that happens? We found out the hard way with a production SAN media server…

We eventually put a VTL as our primary “tape” device and mounted the Decru between it and the physical tape drives, so there is no longer mixed OS. We are using SLP and really liking it.

We ARE very happy with the throughput, and except for spontaneously dropping and reconnecting in our early configuration are very happy with them.

Since we configured them to one OS we have had no issues.

David McMullin