Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] VCB

2009-04-23 10:16:55
Subject: [Veritas-bu] VCB
From: "Ku, Manikanden (OCTO)" <Manikanden.KrushnakumarUsharaani AT dc DOT gov>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 10:13:44 -0400
Hi All,

I have few questions with regards to VCB backup

1. The document says that an Incremental/Differential backup can be
achieved only by selecting option 3 under snapshot options which is only
folder/file level backups for incremental/differential backups. Is there
a way to achieve snapshot (VMDK) backup for incremental/differential
backups also like full backups?

2. My understanding is that Incremental/Differential backup using VCB
does not backup system state and Windows System files. Is this correct?

3. Can someone share information about VCB implementation in their
environment and if so what are the best practices?

4. My understanding is that we have to create 2 policies, 1 for full and
Incremental/Differential backup using VCB and 1 for just system state
using traditional method. In case of a server crash, we have to restore
from full (VMDK) first, then restore file/folder level backups from
Incremental/Differential backup till the latest backup and then restore
system state finally. Is this the only way for a full system restore or
is there a better approach

Thanks,
Mani