Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] bpimport - Phase I Issue

2009-04-21 01:39:36
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] bpimport - Phase I Issue
From: "bob944" <bob944 AT attglobal DOT net>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 01:35:55 -0400
[expired phase 1 imports]

> Is this image really expired?  I seem to remember something about
> Phase
> I imports only lasting 7 days, but I thought setting all the
> retention
> periods to infinity would help with that.  My next step is to re-
> import
> the same media and see if I can restore then.  Anyone run into
> this
> before?  I've run the same command against media that I've scanned
> just
> a few days ago and I've got the same issue.  I'm not really sure
> where
> to go with this one.

We cover this every year or two on the list.  You have one week from
the time of the phase 1 to do the phase 2.  This used to be in the
Admin Guide, but I didn't see it on a quick spot-check.

You don't need the manual to remember it once you've done a phase 1
on hundreds of tapes, then found out--as you have--that you have to
do it all over again because of the one-week limit.  DAMHIKT.

I wrote something before on a process that worked best for me, but
briefly:  if you have many days of phase 2 imports to do, start
managing it by the phase 1 requirements:  make sure you have done a
phase 1 on all tapes for the image(s) in question--you'll have to
start over if you've only phase-1-imported, say, three of four
required tapes before trying to run phase 2.

Creating the NOexpire file will probably keep phase 1s from expiring
but I've never tested this.  You can also futz with the expiration
data in the phase 1 metadata file or in a hundred other ways
copy/move/modify/backup/restore the metadata.  But the easiest way
is to manage the process with the one-week clock in mind.