Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Barcode rules

2009-04-20 15:15:34
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Barcode rules
From: stu52 <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 15:12:22 -0400

Nardello, John wrote:
> Command to modify the barcode is below. Pretty easy to use it with a
> quick loop to set all the barcodes = media IDs.
>
> /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmchange -barcode $MEDIA -m $MEDIA
>

> - John Nardello

that's fine, but not what I had in mind at all.

The info in the media db is based upon the 6-characters that come from the
barcode rules in place when the tape was first introduced into NBU.  So, in my
example, a tape with barcode AA1000L3 has an entry in the media db as (media
id) 1000L3.  When this tape gets images written to it, the images are
associated with media id 1000L3.

I want a way to convert the media db so that the entry for 1000L3 is converted
to AA1000.  Your command does not do that and I don't see a way for that to be
done using the vmchange command.  AFAIK, there's no command that will change
the media id

-stuart