Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NDMP Issues on Sun Storage 7410 Unified Storage System

2009-04-16 00:14:39
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NDMP Issues on Sun Storage 7410 Unified Storage System
From: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 00:11:24 -0400
All,

I know there are many Sun aficionados on here and I just wanted to
mention that NDMP on the new Sun Unified platform is apparently broken.
Basically, some backups will work for a while via NDMP but the NDMP
daemon has some sort of memory leak which will eventually lead to error
99s and all backups failing.  The work around so far appears to be
rebooting the storage device, but I haven't confirmed that quite yet.
My testing so far has been on the 7410 series, but I'm about to work on
the 7210 as well.  Sun document on the issue is 6787737 and there is
currently no fix available.  My SR# for reference is 70900716.  If this
debacle is anything like the Sun StorageTek 5320 debacle I'm sure plenty
of frustrated admins are trying to troubleshoot this issue as we speak.
I'm just pissed off because I've spent another 2 weeks troubleshooting
ANOTHER Sun storage device that never should have made it past QA.

-Jonathan