Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Question on how to exclude Files in subdirectories on certain FS only

2009-04-02 23:25:49
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Question on how to exclude Files in subdirectories on certain FS only
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: LMascare AT verizon DOT net
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 22:22:35 -0500
On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 8:06 PM, Larry Mascarenhas <LMascare AT verizon DOT net> wrote:
I have a scenario whereby I want to exclude a type of file in a FS. eg I
have /u, /u1 etc. Each of these FS have subdirectories
/u/subdir1,
/u/subdir1/subdir2...
/u/subdir2/subdir3....

/u1/subdir1/subdir2...
/u1/subdir2/subdir3...

... etc)

The go down a few (maybe 5-6) levels.

I need to exclude files (eg *.o) in FS /u and its subdirectories, but
not in /u1. So my exclude file looks like this

/u/subdir*/*.o
/u/subdir*/*/*.o

Apart from slowing down my processing (the .o files is just an example),
it will actually speed up the backup because I can exclude 500Gig off a
700Gig FS.

But of course, this doesn't work too well. Any pointers in the general
direction regarding setting up a good regular _expression_ match would
help tremendously. Thanks.

Includes take precedence over excludes so you can probably do an exclude of *.o, then an include of the more specific directories that you really do want backed up.  This is the approach we do for database files - an exclude of ORADATA in the general policy and then an explicit include in the database-specific policy.  I'd probably break that u1 backup into a special policy - that makes the includes/excludes a bit easier to define and understand.

Obviously careful testing is required.

   .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA