Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Slow Informix Logs backups

2009-03-27 18:55:37
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Slow Informix Logs backups
From: Larry Mascarenhas <LMascare AT verizon DOT net>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 18:52:22 -0400
Hello,

I'm running backups on Informix7 DBs. We're able to stream the DB
backups using parallelism 4 and get good throughput (100MB/s, yes
megabytes/sec, it is a SAN Media Server). A 300Gig DB takes less than 1
hour.

However (I know ;)), when it backs up the LOGS (all backups go to tape,
I don't have Disk backups), each log comes in as a separate request.
Each log is therefore a separate job. So the time taken to process this
request is greater than the time to backup each log. ie each log is
100MB and the time taken is <2secs (when the resource is allocted and
ready), but it takes 1+min to create the job/assign the resource/and
begin writing. This is resulting in my never being able to catch up with
the rate of logs generation although the amount to be backed up is
minimal eg 30logs is just 3Gig, but takes approx 30mins and by that time
10 more logs are created. I am using media_unmount_delay so the tapes
are not re-mounting for every request.

I cannot increase the size of the LOGS as this would affect replication
and recoverability (double whammy). This is Symantec's recommendation.

I'm looking for experiences that people have had to speed up the
Informix backups.

Thanks.

--

Larry Mascarenhas