Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Backup speeds with new Ultra320 HBA + LTO3

2009-03-19 10:42:23
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Backup speeds with new Ultra320 HBA + LTO3
From: Dave Markham <dave.markham AT fjserv DOT net>
To: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 14:20:51 +0000
Reply in line at bottom

Justin Piszcz wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Mar 2009, Dave Markham wrote:
>
>> Guys we have installed an Ultra320 HBA into an E220R in slot1 (66mhz)
>> and attached dual scsi to an SL24 with 2 half heigh LTO3 drives. 1
>> Channel per tape drive.  Single Master/Media combo
>>
>> This is all on Solaris 9 with Netbackup 5.0mp7.
>>
>> I wont go into the details but suffice to say the customer won't spend
>> any money on backups but of course needs them to work. We only got the
>> new SL24 due to the previous L1000 falling over constantly and not being
>> able to get support on it easily.
>>
>> Anyway...
>>
>> I have installed all this, but am getting quite poor speeds on backups.
>>
>> doing a ufsdump or tar from base os doesnt get much speed and using
>> netbackup gets higher speeds due to :-
>>
>> /usr/openv/netbackup/db/config/NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS = 16
>> /usr/openv/netbackup/db/config/SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS = 262144
>>
>> We have also added the tuning parameters into /etc/system for shared
>> memory etc.
>>
>> I havn't messed with the st.conf and just let the drive do what it wants
>> but was after any tips if that is the next area to focus on.
>>
>> Currently getting about 8 - 25mb/s on backups depending on amount of
>> jobs running.
>>
>> e.g just doing a local backup of master server direct to the drive gets
>> average :-
>>
>> root@host-SL24# grep Kbytes/sec log.031609
>> 15:26:35.390 [16237] <4> write_backup_completion_stats: successfully
>> wrote 1 of 1 multiplexed backups, total Kbytes 6175485 at 10395.319
>> Kbytes/sec
>> root@host-SL24#
>>
>> I need to check the HBA is running at 320. I can't see any messages from
>> dmesg or /var/adm/messages saying its been downgraded to ultra160 but it
>> may be hidden elsewhere?
>>
>> Cheers
>>

> What speed is your NIC?  Your SIZE data buffers is good but your NUMBER
> data buffers should probably be set to at least 32.  The half-height
> drives
> may write a little slower but IMO they should be faster than that speed.
>
> Do you have both drives on the same port of the SCSI card?  Only attach
> one drive per-port for maximum speed.  What speeds do you get when
> you, e.g.,
> FTP from boxA to the master? 100MiB/s?
>
> Justin.

Nic is actually a fibre Gig nick set at 1000mpbs but the network is only
100mbps for the rest of the infastructure.

The thing is i'm not doing any network tests as yet and expect better
speeds direct attached from the backup server.

The HBA has port A connected to Drive 1 and port B connected to Drive 2.

Although i can tweak netbackup a bit, i'm just concerned tars and
ufsdumps are getting around 10MBps which seems pretty poor.

Cheers