Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backup speeds with new Ultra320 HBA + LTO3

2009-03-16 12:00:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backup speeds with new Ultra320 HBA + LTO3
From: Dave Markham <dave.markham AT fjserv DOT net>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 15:29:37 +0000
Guys we have installed an Ultra320 HBA into an E220R in slot1 (66mhz)
and attached dual scsi to an SL24 with 2 half heigh LTO3 drives. 1
Channel per tape drive.  Single Master/Media combo

This is all on Solaris 9 with Netbackup 5.0mp7.

I wont go into the details but suffice to say the customer won't spend
any money on backups but of course needs them to work. We only got the
new SL24 due to the previous L1000 falling over constantly and not being
able to get support on it easily.

Anyway...

I have installed all this, but am getting quite poor speeds on backups.

doing a ufsdump or tar from base os doesnt get much speed and using
netbackup gets higher speeds due to :-

/usr/openv/netbackup/db/config/NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS = 16
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/config/SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS = 262144

We have also added the tuning parameters into /etc/system for shared
memory etc.

I havn't messed with the st.conf and just let the drive do what it wants
but was after any tips if that is the next area to focus on.

Currently getting about 8 - 25mb/s on backups depending on amount of
jobs running.

e.g just doing a local backup of master server direct to the drive gets
average :-

root@host-SL24# grep Kbytes/sec log.031609
15:26:35.390 [16237] <4> write_backup_completion_stats: successfully
wrote 1 of 1 multiplexed backups, total Kbytes 6175485 at 10395.319
Kbytes/sec
root@host-SL24#

I need to check the HBA is running at 320. I can't see any messages from
dmesg or /var/adm/messages saying its been downgraded to ultra160 but it
may be hidden elsewhere?

Cheers