Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU 6 and archive bit

2009-03-10 22:24:20
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU 6 and archive bit
From: "Wilkinson, Alex" <alex.wilkinson AT dsto.defence.gov DOT au>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 09:05:44 +0900
    0n Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 11:30:04AM +1100, Wilkinson, Tim wrote:

    >More info regarding this:
    >
    >It didn't seem important at the time as the job finished with a status
    >of 1, which has pretty much always meant that it completed with the
    >exception of a few files due to open file issues, but in this case may
    >mean more. The errors in the activity log indicated much (if not all) of
    >the Server 2003 Shadow Copy Components had not backed-up, with entries
    >like this:
    >
    >11/03/2009 8:55:04 AM - Warning bpbrm(pid=8112) from client
    >server1.dsto.defence.gov.au: WRN - can't open object: Shadow Copy
    >Components:\System State\System Files\System Files (BEDS 0x80042301:
    >0x80042301 (2147754753)
    >
    >Looking in more depth, it seems the Microsoft Software Shadown Copy
    >Provider service had hung, and I found ntbackup of system State was not
    >running. I terminated this service, did a test of ntbackup SS and it
    >seems OK again.
    >
    >I'm wondering if this service might have been the problem, and that in
    >this case, a status of 1 meant the files had not been backed-up
    >successfully as far as NBU was concerned. I'm re-running the
    >Diff-Incremental backup and see if this makes any difference.

This is what 0x80042301 actually means (not that helpful):

   c:\>Err.exe 0x80042301
   # for hex 0x80042301 / decimal -2147212543 :
     VSS_E_BAD_STATE    vss.h
   # 1 matches found for "0x80042301"
   c:\>

 -aW

IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the Australian Defence
Organisation and is subject to the jurisdiction of section 70 of the CRIMES ACT
1914.  If you have received this email in error, you are requested to contact
the sender and delete the email.