Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Large catalog issues

2009-03-09 12:12:30
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Large catalog issues
From: "Rosenkoetter, Gabriel" <Gabriel.Rosenkoetter AT radian DOT biz>
To: "VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 11:47:53 -0400
Wow.

So, per Alex Davies, the rule of thumb is that you don't want to let your
catalog backup get above ~ 750 GB or above 1 million images, for very practical
reasons:

- At 750 GBs it will take roughly 10 hours to do your catalog backup and
probably even longer for a full recovery. That's the definition of unwieldy for
Vault and frightening for recovery.
- The image cleanup that runs (by default) every 12 hours can process 30 - 50
records per second, which means it'll take something like 5 to 9 hours to run
if you have 1 million images. You'd really rather not have it running 100% of
the time.

It is... possible to archive data out of the catalog, and somewhat supported
(probably still as a contracting engagement), but that makes recovery even more
of a pain.

I'm guessing that your catalog is so large not just because of the client count
but also because of some hefty retensions. You should really consider moving
your longer retention stuff out of your backup product into an archiving
product: NetBackup wasn't decided with long-term archival in mind, and it
doesn't scale very well in that regard. (A couple of years, sure, but 5 or
more...)

That said, what's the real driver for consolidating your masters here? You're
up against the scaling limits of the application even without merging those two
environments...

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
Radian Group Inc, Senior Systems Engineer